Here’s something tasty that I did for a picnic lunch last year. We were heading out to the UK Speedway GP in Cardiff‘s Millennium Stadium (see picture) and it takes around 5 hours to get there. We always stop for something to eat and to rest on the way but sometimes the service stations on the motorways are packed to capacity, the queues and the wait are long. Rather than stand around waiting we took along a picnic that included these chicken wraps.
- 4 Chicken breasts, sliced
- good bunch of Fresh Coriander, chopped
- 6 Salad Tomatoes, sliced & diced
- Mango Chutney
- Wholemeal Sandwich Wraps
- Shredded Lettuce
- I grilled some chicken breasts but you can use any cut of chicken to make this including the pre-roasted portions available in your supermarkets
- Let the chicken cool and slice them across their width
- Open up the wraps and place the chicken along the middle, leaving some space to fold it fajita style.
- Combine the tomatoes and coriander in a bowl, season as required (I just used some red & black pepper)
- Use a spoon to portion it out over the chicken
- Next add the mango chutney, I put a heaped teaspoon into each wrap
- Top with shredded lettuce
- Wrap everything – start by folding the bottom quarter up, then fold the left and right sides in over the centre to make an envelope shape
- Put a couple of pieces of kitchen roll in the bottom of your sandwich boxes and place the wraps inside, make sure the lid is sealed and add to your cold box. The kitchen roll will help absorb any moisture ensuring the wraps don’t go soggy.
This year I’m tempted to make the same again. This time round I’ll prep in advance, it was a rush job the last time. I’m going to marinade the chicken breasts in curry paste overnight in the fridge, then grill them. I’ll make some mint raita as well, and put a spoon full into each wrap, spreading it on the wrap using the back of the spoon before placing anything else in them.
- Szechuan Peppercorn Chicken (sweetpaprika.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps (whatkatiescooking.com)
- Masala chicken fingers with mango-mint chutney (thestar.com)
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps (healthifiedhaven.wordpress.com)
- Chinese Chicken Wraps (No Carbs) (gigikitty.wordpress.com)
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wrap (sosopie.wordpress.com)
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps (level11fitblog.wordpress.com)
- Which Sandwich? The Best and Worst of Grab-and-Go (donteatdirt.com)
- Classic Chicken Fajitas (faithq8.wordpress.com)
- To-Die-For Grilled Chicken (twohungrysisters.wordpress.com)
- Gorgonzola Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Chicken (omnivoresparadox.wordpress.com)